10.26.2008

Sultry Sunday #7 - The weekly "Pop Sensation" crossover

I passed up a few space-age and western paperbacks to find one perfectly suited for ... Sultry Sunday (the weekly "Pop Sensation" crossover)! Enjoy!
-----

Paperback 155: Phantom Books 509 (PBO, 1952)

Title
: Naked Fury
Author: Day Keene
Cover artist: sadly, uncredited



Best things about this cover:

  • Angry mob!
    • "I'm gonna beat him with this coffee table leg!"
    • "I'm gonna pull my pants up to my rib cage and burn the town down with a troupe of my pasty-faced brethren!"
  • The title is pure pulp - fantastic!
  • One of the greatest pieces of Girl Art I own - her face looks insane, but that dressing gown is gorgeous and the way she's captured in crazy panicked motion is very believable.
  • She is giving us some kind of sign with her right hand: "C" ... Uh, Call the Cops? Crazy people are trying to kill me? C-cup!?
  • I thought the big palooka with the awesome left Fist of Fury was wearing some kind of jacket and open-collared shirt ... but then I noticed the length of that jacket, which appears actually to be some kind of robe. At night, it seems, he likes to dress up like Joan Crawford. Is that why the mob is chasing him? Hate crime!
  • "Revenge" is one of my very favorite words / topics.

Best things about this back cover:

  • Too much Fury, not enough Naked, frankly

Page 123~

Malloy speaking:

"You're not tough. You only think you are. If you guys hadn't been chicken, you'd have let me have it out in Reardon's garage. But killing a two hundred pound man who's willing to fight for his life is a hell of a lot different than shooting a drunken cop from a fire escape or strangling a ten dollar tart."


Mmmm, ten dollar tart ...

~RP

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"An original novel -- not a reprint" they assure us on the front cover. Somehow we suspected that. Anything this good has to be an original.

BikerPuppy said...

I think she's stealing his watch.

Lily said...

The description at the back of the book seems a little violent....and painful. I mean "Don't hit him with your fists use a big heavy gun." How far is it to just shoot him with that gun already!?

Anonymous said...

I'd like to know if Day Keenes prior claim to fame, "HUNT THE KILLER", is about, say, a small town's frenzy of revenge, inevitably stirred up by cold-blooded murder - or instead about that fellow Hunt, who never wanted to be a farmer, or a shop clerk, or a statistician.