Paperback 221: Permabooks M-4289 (1st ptg, 1963)
Title: Like Love
Author: Ed McBain
Cover artist: Robert McGinnis
Best things about this cover:
- "Dear God, please let me score with this chick from Cirque de Soleil. Amen."
- "Dammit! Why won't my eyebrows stay *down*!?"
- "Man, my thumbnails look *weird* up close..."
- "Oh, Steve, I'm tired of you and your shadow puppets. Can't we just get back to hanging drapery?"
- What the hell is with the title?: "It's *like* love, baby, just ... minus all the caring and sharing and listening to your damned problems. OK?"
- This will sound odd, but the softness of the coloring and the fine pattern on the wallpaper reminds me of John Singer Sargent portrait that I love.
Best things about this back cover:
- Tommy and Irene - sounds like a one-hit wonder pop duo from 1963
- Carella and Hawes - sounds like a crime-fighting duo from 1974
- "ourselfs" - ouch
- Authentic imitation wood paneling! Really, one of the awesomest design choices in modern back cover art history
"Miscolo!" he yelled.~RP
"Yo!" Miscolo yelled back from the Clerical Office.
"Bring in some iodine and some Band-Aids, will you?"
"Yo!" Miscolo answered.