10.30.2007

Covers I hate

I thought about posting this cover a while back and then promptly forgot about it. Today I saw it again and, well, HATED it again.

This is not funny. It's not hip. It's not even ironic. It's just mean. Maybe I've been spending a little too much time at http://www.cuteoverload.com/ (sure to send anyone, even the straightest of men, into an estrogen-fueled cooing). But lapin-kabobs? Not cool at all. For shame.


I don't know why the above book pisses me off so much and the following sexist, completely-historically-inaccurate (they did not wear heels/stockings/dresses/garters like that in whenever-the-fuck-this-takes-place!) how-many-dukes-can-there-possibly-be-that-romance-novelists-have-not-written-about?! cover, but it does. Must be the cute fuzzy-wuzzy bunnietoes (the bunny's toes, not the future duchess's).


Housekeeping: I've added a link to http://www.librarything.com/ on the side there with a random list of books in my library. I'm keeping track of all the books I've read and I'm up to 25 since Oct. 6th. Maybe that's why I've been so sparse in posting lately? Anyway, I love LibraryThing, and encourage you to start your own library. Have I ever steered you wrong? (Don't answer that!)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, technically, there are still twenty or so Dukes in the UK alone today, so that cover could be taking place at any time! Of course, modern Dukes are more the "playboy layabout/cokehead" type rather than the "knight in shining armor" type.

Anonymous said...

I not put off by the rabbit cover. But I know nothing about the book. The cover suggests medical experiments on lab animals or cosmetic trials on lab animals. It would certainly make me interested enough to at least pick up the book and read the blurb, which is more than I can say for most covers.

Anonymous said...

"Kawashima Masayuki is a successful graphic designer living in Tokyo with his loving wife, Yoko, and their healthy baby girl. Outwardly, their lives are a picture of happiness and contentment. Every night, however, unable to sleep, Kawashima creeps from his bed and watches over the baby's crib while his wife sleeps. But this is no ordinary domestic scene, for on each of those nights, as he stands gazing at his newborn child, Kawashima has an ice-pick in his hand, and an almost visceral desire to use it. One particular night, as this drama unfolds once more, Kawashima makes a decision to confront his demons, and sets into motion an uncontrollable chain of events seeming to lead inexorably to murder. The follow up to "In the Miso Soup", "Piercing" confirms Ryu Murakami as the master of the psycho-thriller. Read and be terrified, sickened and utterly gripped. It is translated by Ralph McCarthy, translator of "In the Miso Soup"."

Snow said...

All I can say is that the Duke looks ravishing in those thigh highs and heels.

Anonymous said...

Bizarrely, "Piercing" is the first book I ever read in Japanese. The Japanese teacher who helped me was eternally patient and tolerant, I have to say. It's deeply creepy and crazy, and the icepick and the rabbit are both thematically relevant, though not in the way the cover implies. Basically, I agree that it's kind of a bad cover (the Japanese cover is better), but I thank you for making me remember freaking out a really nice Japanese woman. Ahhh, memories.

Mooselet said...

I don't think that cover would want to make me pick up that book. That's just creepy. But thanks for the library link - it's nifty!

vwolfe said...

I have to agree with Kishnevi here
If i were to see it Id have to know what it is about creepy or not it is fascinating in a train wreck sort of way

the.effing.librarian said...

you've never steered me wrong.. your site is hilarious and the only thing I ever think you can do to improve it is, give us more, more, more bad/odd/perplexing covers.

Anonymous said...

The Murakami cover doesn't bother me in the slightest, though I may be biased, as I am a fan of Murakami's writing. But it just doesn't disturb/bother/offend me at all. It's not a great cover, but it doesn't seem terrible.

writtenwyrdd said...

That Piercing cover is indeed awful. It reeks of meanness to me, too. Just gross.

Anonymous said...

The Piercing cover is disturbing. The Love Letters From A Duke cover, however, is hilarious! Maybe those shapely gams are actually the Duke's...