3.02.2009

Watch out!

There's nothing overtly wrong with this cover, right? A nice, fancy schmancy pen lying on a sheet of crinkled paper. Very nonthreatening. Why, then, do I feel an almost irresistible urge to step back from the picture? I felt it immediately upon seeing the cover, but it took me a moment to figure out why. I think I'm afraid of being written on. Maybe it's just me, but the pen looks very 3-D (kudos to the photographer or cover artist). I've had many similar-looking pens bleed all over me. I'm uncomfortable just looking at it. Maybe I'm neurotic. Maybe I've stepped over the line into crazy. Maybe.... I think I'll end here.

5 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

It looks like it's coming out of the page to get me! And it's very pointed.

So maybe you aren't crazy. Or if you are, this isn't how you can tell!

Anonymous said...

That looks as much like a dentist's drill to me than it does to a fountain pen. Yikes.

Anthrophile said...

Of course you stepped back: It's a threatening pointy object rendered unnaturally large! It can easily be used to damage my flesh! That it can also be used for writing is immaterial -- it's pointing in the wrong direction for that. I feel like I should be protecting my eyes...

JamiSings said...

I think it looks like another candidate for Phallic Friday. But I have a dirty mind that isn't used enough.

xenobiologista said...

Um...I like fountain pens. Guess I'm weird. =)