3.20.2009

It's Phriday!

I went for the blatantly obvious today: semi-graphic picture and juvenile title. Teehee. I recall my male high school classmates constantly informing their female cohorts that it does, indeed, have a mind of its own, and therefore, what it does is not the boy's fault. Never. His. Fault. Apparently, David Friedman agrees.

The book examines the penis throughout history, and provides such tidbits (according to Amazon.com) as: "...the Romans, whose generals were known to promote soldiers based on penis size, saw it as an indicator of earthly strength." I know some women who agree, and promote their boyfriends accordingly.

Funny how they didn't think his face was very important -- we usually see this with women, don't we? And I love how the "O" of "Own" exactly circles the object of discussion. I usually try to get a picture of the book cover without Amazon's "click to look inside" marker on it, but I thought it was appropriate for this book. Teehee. I'm looking forward to hearing how many of you are put off by the cover and how many of you might pick this book up just because of the picture. I suspect it may vary based on gender and sexual orientation (and who is at the checkout desk where you would borrow or buy the book).

14 comments:

camille said...

I suspect it may vary based on gender and sexual orientation (and who is at the checkout desk where you would borrow or buy the book).

amen to "who is at the checkout desk."

... but in all honesty, this book sounds really interesting. and i also like the "O" positioning. bahahah

"Red" Merriweather Coast said...

Well, I kind of agree that erections can be involuntary.

Joy said...

This looks like a very interesting read.

Anonymous said...

This is the sort of book I only get when I'm working the reference desk and can check it out myself!

warren said...

Random erections tend to fall away as one gets out of one's teen years, which is a relief.

There's an old joke:

Q. Why do men give nicknames to their penises?

A. Because they're not comfortable leaving their decisions to strangers.

As for the book, of course I'd buy it. But then, I'm a bit of a troublemaker.

You can call me Sara or a(n) . . . said...

Woah, I thought it was just me being a perv, because my eyes went directly to the "O". Who knew it was intentional. Yeah, I'd probably give it a thumb-through.

xenobiologista said...

I think it's funny, and I would probably read it. I'm a massive nerd so I'm rarely interested in conventional erotica but I like documentary stuff like Mary Roach's "Bonk".

Probably if at the public library I would look around to make sure no small children, teenage boys, or pervy old men were around before pulling it off the shelf though.

Mary B said...

I would totally pick it up, but I'm just an old chick who doesn't care if folks think I have a dirty mind.

D. Huston said...

I actually read this one and it's so-so. I was a little alarmed at the pictures in the middle that I didn't notice before...yeah, that kinda thing always happens to me at the bus station, surrounded by people.

Bybee said...

I was tempted when I saw it at the bookstore, but didn't have the money that day. But I had fun showing it to the people with me.

Kristen said...

I actually bought this one a while back. Never occurred to me to worry about anyone seeing it. Either I'm totally innurred to stuff like this or I'm unobservant (although I did giggle at the cover as I trotted up to the checkout).

Anonymous said...

It looks quite amusing. that is the only reason I might buy it...yes, that is why...

the.effing.librarian said...

this cover is perfect for doing a "sleeveface" photo.. hold the book in front of your face (back up to get the proportion right) and snap a photo...

Seeing_I said...

I have this book. It's pretty interesting.