11.09.2008

Sultry Sunday #9 - The weekly "Pop Sensation" crossover

Slow week here at "Judge a Book" ... here's another cover from "Pop Sensation" to tide you over. Enjoy.

-----

Paperback 161: Amazing Stories (December, 1956)

  • Contains: "A World of His Own" by Robert Silverberg and "Tracking Level" by Harlan Ellison
  • Cover artist: Ed Valigursky


Best things about this cover:

  • In the future, "Deal or No Deal" is a lot more interesting.
  • I'm pretty sure those ladies were not born ladies - it's nice to see that, in the future, transsexual and transgendered people will have steady work as game show hostesses
  • Man, that guy really wants to kill Howie Mandel. But then who doesn't?
  • This picture does not make it appear as if "Women Were His Pawns." Unless he's forcing them to act out some adolescent fantasy of his - I guess that's possible

Best things about this back cover:

  • I own one of these books!
  • Never before has the word "ANY" looked so exciting
  • If you don't look closely, you can almost miss the flying saucer mountain scape in the background
  • Love the unnecessary quotation marks around "top drawer" - do not love the quotation marks that open with "Handsome ... and then never close. Spine-tingling!
  • Ad copy always hyphenates "science-fiction," while the book covers themselves Never do. Eeeeerie.
  • I love how specific they are about the amount I would normally be paying ... "$8.65, you say ... oh my."

Page 123~


[click image to enlarge]
  • "Would you ... become a peeping tom?" - they really know their audience, I think
  • "The Space Club" appears to be a kind of asexual personals section for the Nerdiest People On Earth.

~RP

2 comments:

Lily said...

See Women were his pawns, not drag queens. That must be his problem.

capewood said...

I was a member of the Science Fiction Book Club in the late 1960's. I was suckered in by a similar offer. I was a member for 3-4 years. Many years later, like in the early 1980s, and several addresses later, I received a letter from them asking me to rejoin. It was mailed to my current address. Long memories I guess, but how did they find me?