Paperback 155: Phantom Books 509 (PBO, 1952)
Title: Naked Fury
Author: Day Keene
Cover artist: sadly, uncredited
Best things about this cover:
- Angry mob!
- "I'm gonna beat him with this coffee table leg!"
- "I'm gonna pull my pants up to my rib cage and burn the town down with a troupe of my pasty-faced brethren!"
- The title is pure pulp - fantastic!
- One of the greatest pieces of Girl Art I own - her face looks insane, but that dressing gown is gorgeous and the way she's captured in crazy panicked motion is very believable.
- She is giving us some kind of sign with her right hand: "C" ... Uh, Call the Cops? Crazy people are trying to kill me? C-cup!?
- I thought the big palooka with the awesome left Fist of Fury was wearing some kind of jacket and open-collared shirt ... but then I noticed the length of that jacket, which appears actually to be some kind of robe. At night, it seems, he likes to dress up like Joan Crawford. Is that why the mob is chasing him? Hate crime!
- "Revenge" is one of my very favorite words / topics.
Best things about this back cover:
- Too much Fury, not enough Naked, frankly
"You're not tough. You only think you are. If you guys hadn't been chicken, you'd have let me have it out in Reardon's garage. But killing a two hundred pound man who's willing to fight for his life is a hell of a lot different than shooting a drunken cop from a fire escape or strangling a ten dollar tart."
Mmmm, ten dollar tart ...