Paperback 150: Popular Library 60-2299 (1st, 1961)
Title: The Dead Beat
Author: Robert Bloch
Cover artist: uncredited
Best things about this cover:
- Her face - everything about it screams horror hilarity
- She looks like she's about to snap her own neck
- That mouth is So Red that I can only imagine / hope / surmise that this novel involves her drinking blood
- "My hair! O, why did I ever swim in that stupid, over-chlorinated community pool!"
- "My robe! It appears to have fallen open to reveal my impossibly spherical boobs!"
- "My jaw! I can't shut it! How am I even forming this sentence!?"
- Honestly, I love the design on this cover. The jagged backgrounds, the sickly colors. All gold. I believe the word "shocker" is even being struck by something resembling lightning. Fabulous.
Best things about this back cover:
- "Did we mention that Robert Bloch wrote 'Psycho'? 'Cause he did. Write 'Psycho.' It's true. 'Psycho!'"
- "(Remember the author's Psycho)" - um, hey, reviewer from EQMM: the movie adaptation was an international sensation and made a generation of people think twice about getting in the shower. I'm pretty sure folks "remember."
Then he walked in. Opportunity knocks, but Larry walked in. He knew where he was going.
Did I mention that Bloch is a pretty good writer?