8.01.2007

Bless you, faithful readers!

I've been sick as a dog. There's something so wrong about having a cold when it's sunny and hot outside. Fortunately, even when I'm under the weather my faithful readers come through for me. I'm including Dolf's entire e-mail 'cause he is right on about this cover. The only thing I'd like to add is, GREAT PELVIC THRUST!

Hello Ms. Judgeabook,

My coworker was reading this book this morning and i just loved the cover. Apart from the mandatory fantasy stuff (a hooded and cloaked villain), there is also "the girl that has fallen down and twisted her ankle". I think that that is only mandatory for the monster movies from the '50s,but the cliche itself is pretty obvious and the picture deserves credit for that. Apart from that, i just love the attempts to give this book as much credibility as possible. First there are the burning books. I immediately associate that with Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose. Great marketing! Then there is the marvelous line: "This is fantasy for grown-ups". You don't have to be ashamed when caught reading this book. The whole composition of the drawing is kind of icky. What kind of emotions bubble up when your typical grown-up geek looks at the cover? I hope you like the cover. If not you can always toss it away. Anyway, thanks for maintaining a very original blog. Best regards, Dolf Schuurman

Thank YOU, Dolf Schuurman!

------------------------------------------------------------------

ADDENDUM: here's a really interesting discussion on what effect a cover has on the perception of a book, and I've been called a "seminal" blog. My inner 14 year-old boy is giggling his ass off.

8 comments:

DocTurtle said...

Starring Nigel Tufnel as Satan!

Snow said...

The guy on the cover is clearly trying to impress Miss Twisted-Ankle. Look at the way he's posing; the clenched fists and strange posture are to make his muscles bulge out.
You'd think that a mysterious masked man with the power to burn books would have a bit more self-esteem.

Snow said...

By the way, that's a great cover scan. It really helped with the generation of snark.

Charles Jurries said...

If the first book was "Dusk" and this one "Dawn," is the third book called "Noon"?

Unknown said...

I always thought it was darkest BEFORE dawn.

Sean said...

I just discovered your blog today and spent about an hour reading until my sides were too sore from laughing and I had to stop. You are just insanely funny!

Anonymous said...

Geez, your inner 14-year-old boy is worse than mine. And I'm actually a 14-year-old boy!

Freezair said...

Let's see... I'm 19. That makes me an adult, right? And I'm a fantasy fan. Sooo, I look at the cover, and I see...

BLECH! The fires on that thing are strong enough to burn right though the page and into my eyes! Not to mention the over-saturation of orange makes it impossible to tell what's going on here. Is a little coherence so much to ask for?