Fresh off my latest gig as a romance reviewer (I'll post the last words on Georgette Heyer's An infamous army in the next couple of days), I thought I'd come back to the meat 'n' potatoes of Judge a Book by its Cover for some good old fashioned cover snark.
Today's pair come courtesy of our afternoon's perusal of the Swannanoa (NC) Library's ongoing book sale. (If you're ever in Swannanoa, stop in and say hi to the branch manager, she's as cool as librarians come!)
For the first course, it's...
Beating up on Baen is like taking candy from a baby, but damn. I think I once saw this rendered on black velvet at a flea market.
What's there to be said here? I'll pull a Rex Parker and count 'em off:
1. Dude, Chuck Norris is ripped. And pissed. I would be too, if someone stole my pupils.
2. This could be a still from one of the cheesier episodes of the original Star Trek. You know, one of those wherein all of the Enterprise's crucial crew members got caught in a tachyon inversion field and got time warped into feudal Japan?
3. How much did Yuengling shell out for this spot?
I'm almost sorry that I didn't take a look at page 123.
For our second course, it's...
I love the fact that the reviewer's last name is "Sturgeon." Hee hee! Ah, bell-bottoms. John Travolta's lookin' pretty raw.
1. "Run! Run! The Fontainebleau is gonna blow!"
2. I wonder how the cover artist got the rights to use the trademarked "Choose Your Own Adventure" font?
3. I'm sure the dilithium crystal's gonna come in handy for the warp drive, but what possible use is the chick on the right gonna find for that trifold presentation board? "I've got to finish my study on the effects of zero-gravity on gerbil sex for tomorrow's shipwide Science Fair!"
That's all I've got right now, folks. What can you come up with?