6.03.2008

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Um...oops.

So Maughta's got me listed as a co-author on her blog, and I've got a couple of other blogs on Blogspot, including my decidedly-less-well-read-than-Judge-a-Book-by-its-Cover blog about math pedagogy, Change of Basis. It seems that when I went to post on the latter this morning, I accidentally posted on the former. (No, it was not a pathetic attempt to cash in on Maughta's internet popularity, which is inarguably exponentially greater than my own...not that I'm bitter about it...or anything...I mean, what do I care? I'm...happy...about her success...I'm...just fine...with it...really...so what if no wants to read about what I have to say? It doesn't matter...not at all...)

My bad.

Sorry about that, folks.

We now resume our bad cover art snarkitude, already in progress...

...shoulda seen the size of the package on that one! Dog will hunt!

In other news, faithful reader Laura sends us evidence that crappy cover art is not confined to a single linguistic tradition. Behold, ¡AtenciĆ³n...platillos volantes!:



Ay, chihuahua. One might think that not wearing one's helmet vitiates the effectiveness of the spacesuit/oxygen tanks one is wearing. Apparently one would be wrong. One might also think that one ought not wear angular undergarments whose pointy bits threaten to break through the fabric of one's spacesuit, not to mention the fabric of space-time. On this point, too, one would be in error.

What is the luchador del espacio ("space warrior") doing to the alien invader, power washing it a with a high-luster waxing compound?

Back on planet Earth (I think), Nomad reader sends us this provocatively-titled tome:



Hey, whatever folks wanna do in the privacy of their own homes is fine by me. What I find funniest about the cover (title aside) is the helicopter-shot we've got of grandma waving goodbye as we sail off into the clouds...or into the ceiling fan, anyway. I'm sure the artist's intent was to get a shot of Ms. Burns standing amidst an assortment of her handiwork, but the effect is awkward and disorienting. Her queen-like wave just makes it worse.

Sorry again for the unintentional cross-bloggification. Thanks go out to our ever-eager cover submitters, and our devoted fans. Keep it comin'! You may now recommence commenting.

11 comments:

Erik said...

Actually, I *think* she's tossing those strips of fabric into the air... God knows why, though.

Kaethe said...

Good thought, Erik. I didn't even see those strips.

Miss Maggie said...

It's so hard to see those strips when one is blinded by that vest!

Anonymous said...

I did that post was out of place. but no biggie.

I enjoy reading and seeing what covers you have selected. it always brings a smile to my face.

Sorry, I've been a lurker for a while, thought I say hi - so hi

fun covers- these two

Snow said...

I think it's the same woman in both covers.

Anonymous said...

Eleanor Burns is famous in quilter-land for popularizing strip-piecing years ago, and for always throwing the extra bits of fabric over her shoulder onto the floor. So the cover is an inside joke, plus the idea of this grandma-lady "stripping."

I did wonder about this morning's post!

--dangermom

fairyhedgehog said...

Oh, so that's what happened about the post. I did wonder.

Still Stripping has to be the worst cover I've seen in a long time. And it includes inside jokes that we're not meant to get? Even worse!

I did love your description of it.

Anonymous said...

To be fair, the only people who are going to buy (and mostly, even look at) the book are going to be quilting people.

My husband loved the Spanish cover! (He's fluent. I'm...not.)

--dangermom

sadieloree said...

aerial shots are slimming, right?? and sadly, as a quilter, I have many of Burns' books....

Anonymous said...

ACK. I definitely thought she was tossing a bra into the air.

Will said...

holy shit this made my day (and it's only 2:39 in the morning).