2.07.2010

Sultry Sunday #33 - The (at one time) weekly "Pop Sensation" crossover

I used to post stuff here. Not sure why I stopped. I'm starting again. Maughta sent me some cheesy Rex Stout pbs in the mail, so maybe I'll snark those in the near future. Til then, this ~RP

Title: False to Any Man (Bantam 80, 2nd ptg, 1947)
Author: Leslie Ford
Cover artist: "Kohs"


  • When the Bride of Frankenstein sleeps, she dreams of the facades of junior high schools.
  • I sort of like the torn cover effect, but the rest — it's both nonsensical and ugly. The color scheme alone is a nightmare.
  • "Colonel Primrose" already sounds like someone I'd like to kick in the balls.

  • If only this book were about a "gimlet-eyed" cat.
  • Always sad when the original cover is light years better, design-wise, than the paperback.

Page 123~

"He sure am smart, ain' he?" William said, with quite genuine enthusiasm.

In case you were still entertaining some idea of actually reading anything written by this woman...

~RP

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter]

2 comments:

BikerPuppy said...

What the hell is "gimlet-eyed" anyway?? BTW, I think they are so adamant about the "we didn't change a single word" to make sure the reader knows that every crappy word came from Ms. Ford. It's basically a big "(sic)" on the front and back cover. Given the excerpt Rex gave us, I'd do the same if forced to publish this.

Bybee said...

Her cheek must hurt from leaning on that facade. Doesn't look really comfortable.