1.07.2010

I (BikerPuppy) am a single woman hoping to eventually find the man of my dreams. That's why I make fun of the romance novels -- because I'm jealous that they portray as obtainable what I've been so far unable to obtain. This is not for lack of trying, but where does a professional woman meet a suitable man in this day and age? Bars? No, I'm not 22. Book stores? Hasn't worked so far. Dog parks? You'd think this would work, but the men I meet there are married or gay, without exception. That leaves internet dating, which I'm in the process of trying, with mixed results.

However, the cover of Hamilton's book illustrates the danger we face as single women (I guess men face the same danger) looking for love online. It's easy and safe to talk and flirt online and on the phone, but eventually you're going to meet in person. You never know what you're going to get. Fortunately for me, I've never had anyone show up with a razor blade (or at least not one that they've shown to me), but I've had guys show up who are clearly 15 years older than their pictures, who are now covered in tattoos (when their pics showed unmarked skin), or who think it's ok to show up for a first date in ripped or dirty clothing. I guess, given the razor blade alternative, I should be content.


Thanks, Flirt cover artist -- you've scared me into closing my Match.com account and trying Plan B.

13 comments:

Alissa Grosso said...

That is a mighty ugly cover. I've gone on a few internet dates myself, and have found they aren't really any worse than the guys I've met out in the real world, which really isn't saying much.

Also I have never met a single single guy while walking my dog (what's that about anyway) with the exception of one strange and extra chatty park ranger.

Sarah said...

I agree that bookstores are unfruitful, EXCEPT for author readings/signings. People seem much more willing to talk and discuss with each other at that type of event. In fact, I first met my husband in line for a Neil Gaiman reading. :-) Good luck!!!

JamiSings said...

Ug to both the covers and to Match.com. I never met anyone. And I firmly believe the reason eHarmony keeps rejecting me is because I'm fat.

The Blog Fodder said...

JamiSings - If I were 20 years younger and single, I'd track you down. I looked at your picture. You are beautiful.

Rex Parker said...

Is that razor supposed to represent a vagina? Somehow that blue streak / shadow on the side of the book looks like the place where leg meets torso — making the positioning of the razor ... odd.

rp

BikerPuppy said...

Rex, now that you mention it... ewww!

JamiSings said...

BF - I actually prefer older men. Get along with them better then guys my own age because of my tastes in music and my old fashion ways.

Though being single would be required. LOL

Rex - With Hamilton who knows? I haven't read the books, mind you, but from the blurbs and what everyone tells me for all I know the razor blade could be Anita's new sex toy.

The Revolutionary said...

I don't understand why there is a razor blade on the book cover for "Flirt." Maybe it's a romance novel that encourages suicide.?

A Library Girl said...

JamiSings - Eww, razor blade sex toy. It's even more eww because it's quite possible that's true. At some point, Anita would talk about how scary the razor blade is, and then, after several horribly details pages, she'd admit that all she really had to do was relax and enjoy it. And now, anyone who doesn't agree with her that razor blades are the new best sex toy is wrong and backward and restrictive. ::shudder::

Marla said...

Well, this probably sounds like your grandma giving advice, but if you want to meet men, go where the men are. Like, you're going to meet more men in a photography class than a scrapbooking class; more men at a boat show than a home furnishings show, etc. I know it sounds contrived and all, but I don't see anything wrong with improving your odds.

BikerPuppy said...

Marla, I've tried, believe me. I have joined riding clubs (motorcycle), different churches, etc. I actually tend to prefer "guy" type things anyway. So far, I keep running into piles of women with the same idea. Oh, well.

Marla said...

Damn I thought I was being so clever!

heidi said...

Please, please tell me that you read http://romance.unclewaltersrants.com/ =)