3.22.2007

Hob's Bargain



So today we move out of the realm (sort of) of Romance and into the realm of Fantasy. I love fantasy. If I could ever think up a plot, I would write fantasy. But I would never, ever, agree to a cover like this one. Giant-creepy-elfie-guy weirds me out. It makes it much worse knowing, as I do having read the book, (spoiler alert) that our heroine winds up romantically entangled in a happily-ever-after kind of way with him. Ewwwwwww. After her husband is killed off on the first page.

Why, you're wondering, if the cover is soooo bad, why oh why did you read such a book? Well, here's the thing. Patricia Briggs is my favorite new-author-that-I've-just-discovered-in-the-last-few-months. She writes completely readable, interesting, high fantasy. I really enjoyed her Dragon series, and Hob's Bargain was a good book, too (if you cover it in brown paper, first). She's recently branched out into dark fantasy. Check out this cover:



I don't usually think of girls this way (I'm not that kind of girl), but that cover is HOT! Smokin! That cover influenced me to read the rest of Patricia Briggs, and I'm really glad I did. Thank Gd I didn't see Hob's Bargain first!

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/b/patricia-briggs/

6 comments:

DocTurtle said...

It's Yoda on performance-enhancing drugs!

Snow said...

He's pretending to be her friend, as evidenced by the hand holding. All the while, though, he's planning on clubbing her on the head with that big stick. *Sick Sick Sick*

Elin said...

That cover makes me happy Shrek wasn't a live-action film

Anonymous said...

I saw the Blood Bound cover and thought it looked farmiliar. I had seen the cover for Moon Called on conceptart.org. I think a different artist did that cover, but it is still very nice. They posted a step-by-step tutorial as to how they painted it. I thought you might be interested:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?p=500858#post500858

Mary J. said...

I have been enjoying your blog. I loved this book too. You might also like:
Working for the Devil: A Dante Valentine Novel by Lilith Saintcrow
The cover isn't as cool but I liked the book. It didn't tempt me away from my usual orientation like the Mercy Thompson books did.
Unfortunately...

Snuze said...

Huh. The one I read had a different cover, so that works better. It was just a solitary female figure on the cover, no creepy hob included. But the storyline was interesting and I liked the character development.